The Cold War, a term supposedly invented by the journalist Walter Lippmann in 1952, refers to a period of tension following the disrupting of the Great Alliance between 1945 and 1947 and the long competition between the two superpowers that follows, from 1947 to 1991, when the collapse of the USSR put an end to this long struggle without direct confrontation between the two powers.
As the diplomatic advisors for the president of the United States of America, you are kindly ask to use your expertise about one of these different crisis, as to indicate the president what would be the right course of action to be taken.
1) The Berlin Blockade. First Berlin crisis. (1948-1949)
2) The Korean war (1950-1953)
3) The Suez canal crisis (1956)
4) The Budapest uprising (1956)
5) The Second Berlin Crisis: Wall of Berlin (1961)
6) The Cuban missile crisis (1962)
7) Prague spring (1968)
8) The US intervention in Vietnam (1964-1973 we will focus here on the involvement of the US between 1962 and 1965)
9) The invasion of Afghanistan by the USSR (1979)
You will choose to focus on one and only one of these different crisis, by forming a group of three or four persons. Your task will be:
1) To expose clearly the context, the facts and the specificities of the crisis, without entering too much in details. You must be straight and clear on that.
2) To indicate to the president what would be the best line of action in this particular crisis. You have to justify your proposal by exposing clearly and convincingly the pros and the cons of each option and why you recommend the particular choice that you made.
The documentaries, selected for each crisis, can help you to understand more clearly the context of each one.
In addition, these documents can give you some more enlightenment on the crisis you choose to deal with:
Berlin Crisis 1948-49 (Berlin Blockade/Airlift)
Cuban missile crisis:
Second Berlin crisis and Berlin Wall (1961):
The Korean War (1950-1953):
Suez Canal Crisis
Budapest Uprising (1956):
The Prague Spring (1968):
The Vietnam war (1964-1975):
The invasion of Afghanistan (1979):
Write me at : firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know the composition of your group and the subject you choose. We’ll start the activity on march, 9th
The United States of America and the world from 1945 to 2003